Thursday, November 18, 2010

Taking Time to Grieve

Last night, I called to check on one of my young friends.  She had suffered a tremendous loss recently - her boyfriend had passed away unexpectedly, due to a medical complication.
And they were in love.  Their relationship was somewhat complicated by distance - he lived in Houston, she on the other side of the country...but they made it work.
A young person’s death is always a shock.  It seems so out of time, for a young person to be there one day, and gone the next.  I knew this young man professionally, and we had worked together in a professional industry organization. He was a young man of much excellence and promise, and had just accepted an overseas assignment in the oil industry.
I was pleasantly surprised to hear that my friend was in town, and we quickly arranged to meet at the local Starbucks.  When I saw her, we just hugged.  She’s such a beautiful, sweet lady - my heart is breaking for her.
We talked for a bit, and she downloaded some of the ups and downs of her past days.  She is such a pillar of strength, and had helped the young man’s family in so many ways.  I was glad she had come back home from the services to be in the arms of her family.
As she enjoyed her hot chocolate and I, my chai tea, the funny stories started coming out.  This girlie has such a fun, quirky sense of humor, and it seems that our friend really appreciated that side of her.  
I laughed and laughed as one story tumbled into another, and we read text messages between the two that were the stuff comedy writers only dream of creating.  I’m so very glad that she has such tangible proof of their love.
If you think of it, please pray for my friend as she begins to heal.  She is so very precious to me, and to many others.  She is a precious, fine jewel. I know this loss will only temper her brilliance, and make her shine all the more. And I know the Lord holds her in His arms.
And I’m so very thankful.


4 comments:

  1. Awesome, I cannot think of anyone I think more effective at grieving with those who grieve. I will be praying for her and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH A SADDNESS AND A REMINDER TO TREASURE EVERY SINGLE DAY AND LET NOTHING EVER MAKE US ANGRY FOR TOO LONG...SANDY

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so important to have people around you to lighten your load, to hold your hand through your grief, and to say "tell me your stories"

    p.s. I love the way you used the verb "downloading" Never seen it used that way before.

    Happy new blog!

    ReplyDelete

You know you have SOMETHING to say, so spit it out! I love comments!