Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Father and His Daughter (repost)

This post is a repost from my former blogbut still, timely.

As we walked into a restaurant today at lunch, I noticed a man and his daughter sitting at the bar in a local restaurant.  I was just drawn to them. They were sitting side by side, and as Steve and I sat down waiting on our food, I observed them as they talked.  They were sitting so close, you couldn’t have put a piece of paper between them.

The young lady was probably 13 years old, and she was telling her dad a story, something personal she had experienced.  She was very animated, and you could tell whatever had happened had touched her deeply.
Her dad was very calm, and never took his eyes from her face.  He heard every word daughter said, and daughter knew it, with all her heart.  When he started talking to her (and not in correction), she visibly calmed and listened to him - their conversation never missed a beat.  They were definitely in their zone.
It was a very cool thing to watch.
She got up, and walked past our table to refill her drink.  I said, “She’s beautiful!” Steve commented that the daughter might have some attitude, as she flounced by him.  I had a clearer view of her from where I sat, and I said, “Maybe, but I think it’s more “confidence” than “attitude”. She knows she’s her daddy’s daughter, and she’s cool with that - and in her God-given place.  Watch.”  

So, we did.  And he agreed.
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, this father with his daughter.

"Daughters" by John Mayer
I know a girl
She puts the color inside of my world
But she's just like a maze
Where all of the walls all continually change
And I've done all I can
To stand on her steps with my heart in my hands
Now I'm starting to see
Maybe it's got nothing to do with me
Fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too
Oh, you see that skin?
It's the same she's been standing in
Since the day she saw him walking away
Now she's left
Cleaning up the mess he made
So fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too
Boys, you can break
You'll find out how much they can take
Boys will be strong
And boys soldier on
But boys would be gone without the warmth from
A womans good, good heart
On behalf of every man
Looking out for every girl
You are the god and the weight of her world
So fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too



8 comments:

  1. I love to hear stories like this! I'm so glad you reposted- we need to hear the good more than the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that. I would have enjoyed seeing that little scenario.....so rare! thanks for re-sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one but we are not close. She thinks she is smarter than me and she plainly isn't. What she is though, is she is just like me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing that Janie... felt good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing that story... very touching...

    ReplyDelete

You know you have SOMETHING to say, so spit it out! I love comments!