Monday, May 16, 2011

Not The Talk...Anything But The Talk

(Another repost from 2010 - bear with me, peeps.  I'm only transferring the funny stuff.)


This week, Little Brother Geoffrey and his real little brother are staying with me while their mom attends a teacher conference in Fort Worth.  So far, so good. 

I say that because kiddos in your house, especially those that aren’t yours, are a different animal entirely.  Your own kids are raised and on their own and are out and about.  The empty nest syndrome is really, after all, a relief.  And then all of a sudden, you have an 11 year old and a 14 year old for the week.  And you can't give them back to their mom when she's 5 hours away all week long.
This afternoon brought it all home for me, via a simple text message.  I’m heading to pick Geoffrey up from his summer gifted/talented program.
Geoffrey:  Guess who got a girlfriend.  BTW, the bus is about to leave ( from Odessa).
Me:  You better be on it, and aloooonnnnnneeeee.
Geoffrey:  Ohno I missed it......(then this long drill down of multiple spaces)....JK.
Geoffrey:  She lives in Odessa.  Yeah, and I don’t think they would allow that.
Then, a pause.
Geoffrey:  Are you almost here?
Me:  On the way.
Geoffrey:  Am I gonna get "the talk"?
Oh, Lordy, I lost it.
Me, to him: Not on your best day, son.  Not even on your best day.  Mebbe so.

He cracks me up.


1 comment:

You know you have SOMETHING to say, so spit it out! I love comments!