Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Da List! Da List!



I have a list. If you’re a guy, I don’t even wanna hear that your wife has a never ending list like mine.  

Women?  Work off lists.



I keep my list in my head.  Sometimes, on my "notes" in my iPhone.  Sometimes, on the back of an envelope. At a red light. Or, God forbid, in a movie.

And it always, A.L.W.A.Y.S. has "house" things to do mingled with "work" things to do and "volunteer" things to do.

Sometimes, in the middle of the night, like at midnight, 2:30 a.m. or 4:30 a.m., I will sit up and email my own bad self my list, just to “put it to bed.”  Like knowing that I’ve written and committed it to paper will freaking help get it accomplished. 

Or, God forbid, help me go to sleep.  But That's Another Subject.

At this moment, in my life, I’m having a hard time keeping the list pared down to a reasonable amount of things to get done.

It’s like one thing is accomplished, and rolls off, then another just hops back up there.

It’s frustrating, to say the least.

And if you’ve ever been through the Franklin Covey Plan Plus training, there’s a way to prioritize your list, like A1-A5, B1-B5, etc.

Well, it doesn’t work for me.

Because, on different days, different items on that list graduate in priority, as well as others that may descend in priority.

It happens, I promise.

The only thing that would probably help it would be to....say “No.”

I’m learning how, I promise.  I’m starting to say “No.”  And “I’m winding down.”

I’m trying to pull back from some of my volunteer commitments, especially to non-profits.  It’s just as hard to pull back as it is to volunteer.

But...it’s time.

Time for me.  And mine.

Now hand me that list, will ya?


4 comments:

  1. I used to have so many lists I could have wallpapered a room with Post-it notes. I understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a mental list kind of girl, too. It is hard to pull back, but sometimes you just have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I like to do when it comes to list is to jot each item down on a yellow sticky pad. That way I can move them around to prioritize them and make changes until it is all set.

    Then I take the list and type it up on the ‘puter, and print it out. That way I have a hard copy of thing to do.

    Then I wad it up and throw it in the trash, go get a beer and get back to my blogging and Facebooking activity. Ya know, the important stuff.

    Another list behind me. It is so much more rewarding doing it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a "To Do" list; I have a "Too Due" list. I expect they are about the same.

    ReplyDelete

You know you have SOMETHING to say, so spit it out! I love comments!